- Have you finished first year at Melbourne Law School?
- Do you want to share your insights and advice on succeeding in law school with the incoming first year students?
In 2018, the Legal Academic Skills Centre (LASC) will again be running the successful ‘Facilitated Study Groups’ (FSGs) for new JD students and we are hiring later-year JD students to join our team as facilitators.
The FSG sessions aim to support students’ transition into law school and to help participants develop specific academic skills that are related to the core curriculum. These skills include:
- Reading cases and legislation;
- Effective note taking and schematization;
- Writing answers to hypothetical problems;
- Working collaboratively; and
- Exam preparation
Topics such as wellbeing and time management are also covered.
The overall aim of the groups is to provide a supportive, guided environment for discussion, question and answer, and skills development.
Remuneration and time commitment:
In 2017 facilitators were remunerated at a rate of approximately $40 per hour. Hours are calculated as: 90 minutes of preparation time for every week in which sessions are run, and 1 hour for each session that week.
The sessions will run in approximately eight weeks of Semester 1. Dates will be confirmed in February and prospective facilitators must be available to work on these dates.
- Participation in the FSG Program during your first year of the JD
- Be enrolled as a student at MLS in Semester 1 2018 and Semester 1 2019
- Demonstrated interest in teaching or education and an ability to create a safe, inclusive, and supportive learning environment
- Availability to attend a training session on Friday February 23 9AM-1PM, and every week the study groups run
- A commitment to facilitating a minimum of two sessions (maximum four) per running week
If you are interested in the position, please email your expression of interest to Chantal Morton (Chantal.firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Wednesday January 24 at 9 AM.
An application should include your resume and a cover letter that identifies your study group facilitator from first year and addresses the following three questions:
- Why would you like to become a facilitator in 2018?
- What qualities, attributes or skills would you bring to this role?
- What, if anything, do you think could be improved in the FSG program?
Interviews will be conducted the week of February 5 2018.